Large California Jury Verdict for Elderly Pressure Ulcer Victim
Ms. Alice Underwood was admitted into the nursing home facility at Victor Valley Global Medical Center for care and treatment of various ailments. Unfortunately, her lawsuit alleges that she developed deep, unstageable bed sores on her backside and coccyx area. These wounds apparently got infected and she also developed a kidney injury and malnourishment resulting in significant weight loss. As a result of her injuries acquired at Victor Valley Medical Center, Ms. Underwood, through her estate, sued Victor Valley alleging negligence.
The lawsuit against Victor Valley did not settle and proceeded to trial.
Allegations Against Victor Valley Global Medical Center
- Wrongful death
- Medical negligence
- Elder abuse (violations of California’s Elder Abuse and Dependent Adult Civil Protection Act, Cal. Code Sect. 15600)
- Failure to report changes in the patient, Ms. Underwood’s, condition
- Failure to perform physical assessments
- Failure to train and supervise nursing staff
- Failure to protect the patient’s wellbeing
- Failure to exercise due care in hiring staff, nurses and employees
- Depriving Ms. Underwood of nutrition, adequate fluids, and medical care for her infection, renal failure, pressure ulcer and pneumonia.
Victor Valley Global Medical Center’s Response to the Malpractice Lawsuit
Attorneys for Victor Valley defended the case, alleging that Ms. Underwood’s health problems were preexisting and could not be prevented. The attorneys for the defense claimed the medical provider did all it could in providing the best care possible for this very sick individual.
Jury Verdict Against Victor Valley in Favor of the Plaintiff
The California jury returned a verdict in the sum of $1,399,309 in favor of the Underwood estate, against Victor Valley Global Medical Center. This award was broken down as follows:
- $750,000 loss of services of the decedent
- $49,309 past medical expenses
- $600,000 human damages, like pain, suffering, anguish and misery
« Previous PostNext Post »
*Each case is different. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome or indicate an expected outcome on your particular case. The above prior lawsuit, verdict and/or settlement information is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to substitute for legal advice from an attorney. This individual case information above is publicly filed information gathered from the publicly filed complaint or reported resolution. This information, results and these cases are not the work of this law firm. The contents of this website should not be construed as legal advice on any specific fact or circumstance. Your receipt of such information does not create an attorney-client relationship with this law firm or any of its lawyers. You should not act or rely on any of the information contained herein without seeking professional legal advice. Speak with an attorney immediately if you believe you have a viable case against a nursing home, assisted living facility or medical facility.